Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My feet aren't really asleep...

...but they feel like they are.  It's another side effect, called peripheral neuropathy.

Generally peripheral neuropathy is linked to diabetes, but certain chemotherapy drugs (including the class of drugs named taxenes, of which Taxol is a member) can also cause damage to the end of nerves, leaving you feeling like you've left your legs crossed for too long or like you've fallen asleep on your side and your arm and hand are now asleep. This usually occurs in the longer nerves in our bodies, which is why feet and hands are the most common areas affected.

My case, thus far, is minor. I'm having some numbness on the outside of my left foot and my heel has been numb for a couple of days, and my toes on both feet are numb and/or tingly off and on.  It can progress as the drugs accumulate in your system, but I'm putting my foot down on this one, even if I can't feel it:  I am not letting it get worse.  The progression can include increased numbness, tingling, and even sharp, "electric" type pains.  I've had a few of those to date, and they always make me jump.
Moisturizing seems to be the best way to keep it from progressing, and I've been diligent about applying a thick, natural moisturizer (Moon Valley Organics came recommended at Whole Foods; the woman there said another customer in chemotherapy said it works best, and so far I have to agree, though Eucerin Calming Creme is good too) three or four times a day.  This isn't a bad habit to get into anyway, as I've been increasingly dehydrated and my skin is crazy dry.

Controlling your blood sugar has also been cited as a way to decrease the symptoms (this is for the diabetes-related neuropathy, I assume), as has the cure-all for nearly all my chemotherapy side effects, regular exercise.  I try to walk regularly, mostly to counteract the aches and the heart-related side effects.  Thankfully, the weather seems to be cooperating, at least for the next couple of days.

No comments: